Leather Christmas Card Project
TOOLS & MATERIALS
6047-00 “HOW TO CARVE LEATHER” by Al Stohlman (Page 18, Page 42, Back Inside Cover)
2-4oz Veg-Tanned Tooling Leather (suggested leathers)
- 9157-93 3-4oz Craftsman Oak Tooling Side
- 9154-00 2.-2.5oz Petite Tooling Calf
- 9153-00 2-3oz Petite Tooling Goat
- 9157-32 2-3oz Craftsman Oak Tooling Side
- 9157-33 3-4oz Craftsman Oak Tooling Side
- 9157-72 2-3oz Oak Leaf Tooling Side
- 9157-73 3-4oz Oak Leaf Tooling Side
- 9003-02 3-4oz Royal Meadow Tooling Side
3500-00 Tracing Film – 1 yard
35048-00 Swivel Knife w/ Blade
Filigree Blade (8027-00 Ceramic, 8014-00 Steel, or 35051-04 HCS1055)
Craftool Stamps: (B803, F891, F902, F976, F900, S631, B61, S864, B701, F899, P972, S633, S931, S932, F895, B199, F896)
8039-06 Modeling Tool – Fine/Small Round Spoon
8039-01 Modeling Tool – Point/Stylus
8116-00 Bone Folder
PATTERN: Christmas Card Pattern
“Here’s “How” to wish a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year of Carving” with Al Stohlman, from the How to Carve Leather book by Al Stohlman.
- Make the tracing and cutting patterns. Be sure no lines have been omitted. Cut the leather to size.
- Dampen both sides of the leather. Allow surface moisture to evaporate until leather returns to its natural color.
- Center the tracing on the damp leather. Transfer the design to the leather using the stylus. Push just hard enough to make a clear impression.
- Before removing the tracing lift one corner at a time and check to be sure that none of the lines have been omitted.
- Use care in tracing and cutting all lines, the finished carving will be no better than its outline. Do not cut the dotted lines. They are merely guides for beveling.
- Strop the blade of the swivel knife. This insures easier cutting and better work.
- Cut the outlines of the design holding the swivel knife vertical, do not lean the knife to the right or left.
- Refer to the photo-carve pictures for stamping tools and location of use.
- Use the spoon modeling tool to smooth and add roundness to beveled edges.
- After all stamping is done, and the leather is dry. It is time to color your cards as desired.
- Apply a finish of choice to seal the pores of the leather.
- Punch holes for lacing or stitching.
- Moisten and fold creases with a bone folder.
- To cut out letters, snow and interior of wreath…use Craftool filigree blades. (Practice on scrap leather.)
- To simulate snow…use white leather or heavy white paper behind filigree.
- After backing filigree with desired color…cement edges. Lace or stitch as desired.
- You can also use the 4903-01 ¼” Alphabet Stamp Set to easily customize and personalize your cards.
©2010 by Tandy Leather Factory. All Rights Reserved.